To quickly connect devices to your network, locate the WPS button on Xfinity router—typically found on the router’s back or top, labeled WPS or double arrow pointing each other. Pressing the WPS button helps you connect devices to Wi-Fi without typing in your password.
This comprehensive guide will provide clear instructions on how to find and use the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button on your specific Xfinity router models. We will also provide step-by-step instructions on how to connect to a WPS-enabled router using Windows 11.
The location of the WPS button varies depending on the model of your Xfinity router. Here’s where you can find it on different models:
- Xfinity Wireless Gateway 2 and 3: The WPS button on the Xfinity Wireless Gateway 2 & 3, specifically DPC3939, DPC3941T, TC8717, and TG1682G model is easy to find. It is located on top of the gateway and is clearly labeled as “WPS.”
- To activate the feature, simply press the WPS button. The light will start blinking until the other device connects. Once the blinking stops, it indicates that the devices are successfully connected.
- Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway XB6: On the Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway XB6, the WPS button is situated on the left side of the “Xfinity” logo.
- Press the WPS button to activate the feature, and a blue light will begin blinking. Next, press the WPS button on the other device to pair them. Once the devices are connected, the light will turn white.
- Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway XB7 & XB8: The WPS button can be found on the back of the router above the Ethernet ports. Look for a button with two arrows pointing toward each other.
- Press the WPS button, and a blue light will start blinking. Once the other device connects to the gateway, the light will turn white.
When the WPS button is pressed, a light on the router starts blinking. The light becomes steady once the other device connects to the gateway, indicating a successful pairing.
Checkout below Xfinity Guides for more information:
What is WPS?
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a feature that allows you to securely connect your devices to your Wi-Fi network without manually entering your network password. WPS simplifies the setup process by automatically configuring the necessary encryption, communication protocols, and device settings for a seamless connection experience. However, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of using WPS before proceeding.
How to Use Xfinity Router WPS Button?
To use the WPS button on your Xfinity router, first ensure your device’s Wi-Fi is on, then press the WPS button on the router. This initiates a quick pairing process, eliminating the need for a WiFi password. When the router’s light turns solid, indicating a successful connection.
Irrespective, of the Xfinity model, whether you have Xfinity Wireless Gateway or Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway. The process of using the WPS button on router is almost the same.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use the WPS button on your Xfinity router:
- Enable Wi-Fi on Your Device: Make sure the device you want to connect to the Wi-Fi network has its Wi-Fi enabled.
- Press the WPS Button on Your Router: Locate the WPS button on your Xfinity router and press it. A quick push usually initiates the WPS pairing mode, allowing devices to connect without entering a Wi-Fi password. The light on the router should start blinking.
- Connect Your Device or PC: On your PC, go to the Wi-Fi settings and select your network. If your device supports WPS, you should see an option to connect via WPS. Select this option.
- Wait for Connection: Your device will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network. Once connected, the light on the router will stop blinking and turn solid.
The whole process should be completed within two minutes to ensure a successful connection.
It’s crucial to know that the WPS function might be disabled in the router’s software settings, rendering the physical WPS button ineffective if not enabled.
Furthermore, on some models like the XB7 modem, a prolonged press of the WPS button (about 30 seconds) may inadvertently reset the router instead of initiating WPS, so a quick press is advisable.
How to use WPS on the Windows 11 PC to connect to your Xfinity Router or any other Router with WPS capability?
Step-by-step instructions to use WPS on Windows 11:
- Choose the Wi-Fi network to connect via WPS in Windows 11: On your Windows 11 computer, click or tap on the network icon in the system tray to open the quick settings fly-out.
- Ensure Wi-Fi is enabled, then click the caret (>) button next to it. Windows 11 will display a list of available Wi-Fi networks. Identify the network you want to connect to using WPS and click or tap on its name.
- If it’s a network you frequently use, consider enabling the “Connect automatically” option by ticking the box. Finally, press Connect.
- Push the WPS button on the router to connect to Wi-Fi: Walk to your wireless router, mesh Wi-Fi, or access point.
- Locate the WPS button, which is usually found on the back, sides, top, or bottom of the router. If necessary, you can check your router’s settings to confirm whether WPS is enabled by logging in to its admin interface.
- Once you find the WPS button, push and hold it for a few seconds. Some routers may use a WPS symbol instead of text to indicate the button.
- Wait for your Windows 11 PC to connect to the Wi-Fi network via WPS: Return to your Windows 11 computer.
- In the Wi-Fi panel of the system tray, you should see a message indicating that it’s “Getting settings from the router.” Windows 11 will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network within a moment or two.
- Once the connection is established, you can double-check its status in the same Wi-Fi panel of the system tray.
WPS PIN Setup
An alternative way to use WPS is by using a PIN. To do this, set up the Xfinity router to use WPS with a PIN by following these steps:
- Generate a PIN on the WPS-enabled device using the WPS utility.
- Ensure that the Wi-Fi is on so that you can set up the WPS.
- Enter the web interface of the gateway before you set it up.
- Log in and go to Gateway.
- Select Connections, and click on Wi-Fi.
- On the Wi-Fi settings page, click on Add Wi-Fi Protected Setup Client.
- Enable WPS, select PIN under Connection Options.
- Enter the generated PIN, and click on PAIR.
Note: Windows 11 does not support WPS PIN setup due to security vulnerabilities associated with WPS PIN codes.
Troubleshooting WPS Issues
If the WPS button on your Xfinity router isn’t working, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check Your Internet Connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- Reset Your Router: Disconnect the power cable from the back of the router, wait for about 30 seconds, then reconnect it. Once the router has restarted, try pressing the WPS button again.
- Contact Xfinity Support: If you’re still having trouble, contact Xfinity customer support for help.
If you are concerned about your Internet speed, check out: Why Is My Upload Speed So Slow? Reasons with Fixes article.
To understand how fast you need internet check out the below articles.
- Is 10 Mbps fast Enough?
- The Ultimate Guide to 200 Mbps Internet Speed: Is 200 Mbps Fast Enough
- Is 1000 Mbps Fast Internet? (The Gold Standard of Internet Speeds)
Understanding the WPS button on Xfinity routers is essential for setting up and managing your home network. While it offers convenience and ease of use, it’s important to be aware of its potential security risks. Always ensure that your network is secure and only allow trusted devices to connect via WPS. If you encounter any issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to Xfinity’s support team for assistance.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
How to disable WPS on xfinity router?
Yes, you can disable WPS on your Xfinity router by following the below method:
- To disable WPS on an Xfinity router, access the router’s web interface by entering the router’s IP address, commonly
10.0.0.1, into your web browser.
- Log in using your credentials; the default username is often ‘admin’, and the password can be ‘password’ unless you’ve changed them.
- Navigate to the Wi-Fi settings, usually found under ‘Gateway‘, ‘Connection‘, or ‘Wi-Fi‘. Look for ‘Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)‘ or a similar section.
- Here, you should find an option to disable WPS. Confirm or save your changes to ensure WPS is disabled.
This action does not turn off your Wi-Fi; it merely disables the WPS feature, which is known to have security vulnerabilities.
Can I use the WPS feature to connect non-WPS devices to my Xfinity router?
Yes, you can still connect non-WPS devices to your Xfinity router using the traditional method of entering the network name and password.
If the WPS button on your Xfinity router is not working, make sure that you are pressing it correctly and holding it for the required duration. If the issue persists, try restarting the router and attempting the WPS connection again.
The availability of the WPS feature may vary depending on the model and age of your Xfinity router. Older routers may not have the WPS button, so you may need to use the traditional method of entering the network name and password to connect wireless devices.
How do I know if the WPS connection was successful?
If the WPS connection is successful, the wireless devices will be able to connect to the network without requiring a password. The router’s WPS LED may also indicate a successful connection, usually by displaying a solid white light.
Not all Xfinity routers have a WPS button. The availability of the WPS feature may vary depending on the model and firmware version of the router. If you’re unsure whether your Xfinity router has a WPS button, refer to the user manual or contact Xfinity customer support for assistance.
- How to Cancel Spectrum Internet, TV, Phone or Mobile? - February 22, 2024
- Can a WiFi Owner See What Sites I Visit on My Phone? - February 22, 2024
- Fix WiFi Not Working on iPhone But Working on Other Devices - February 22, 2024